Most people know that TLC stands for “tender loving care.” Usually, we talk about TLC for a person. But cars need a little TLC as well. This is especially true if you drive a high-performance car. If you take care of your car, your car will take care of you. Taking care of your car can also mean more money in your pocket down the road.
Over time, cars wear down. This is why you need to perform regular maintenance and repair on your car. If you let these things build-up, it can ruin your car. It can also be very expensive to fix a car later as opposed to taking care of it today.
There are some basic things you can do to make sure your car is running at peak performance. Here, we’ll talk about a few of these things. We’ll also take a look at the things that can go wrong when a car doesn’t get the TLC it needs.
Neglecting Your Car is a Big Mistake
Just like anything else, if you neglect your car, you’re going to run into problems down the road. This doesn’t just mean neglect from not driving your car. It also includes the neglect that comes from ignoring signs that your car may need a little TLC.
Some of the things that happen when you neglect your car include:
The oil gets dirty
– When your is dirty, your car isn’t going to run the way it should. You need to get your oil changed every 3 months or 3,000 miles. But that’s just the general rule. You need to get your oil checked often to make sure it isn’t low. For all you know, you could have an oil leak. The only way to know for sure is to make sure your oil doesn’t run low.
Low Engine Power
– If you don’t service your car, your engine isn’t going to run at peak level. The longer you go without getting your fluids changed and your filters replaced, the worse your car is going to run.
Parts Wear Out
– Most people keep their cars for at least a few years. Over this time, the parts in your car are bound to wear out. You need to get your car checked often to make sure none of your parts are corroded or worn.
Brake Pads Wear Out
– If your brakes aren’t working properly, you are asking for trouble. The last thing you want to do is let your brake pads wear to the point where they aren’t working. If you hear your brakes grinding or notice they aren’t working as well as they should, go to your mechanic. You may need new brake pads, rotors or brakes.
Your Exhaust Smokes
– If you notice that there’s smoke coming from your exhaust, you have problems. This is a sign that something’s already wrong with your engine. Make sure you get this checked out immediately.
Your Car Needs Superficial TLC Too
It’s not just your engine that needs TLC. The exterior of your car deserves to be treated well too. You can tell when a person truly loves their car. They make sure the interior and exterior are spotless. While these people may drive you nuts, they’re laughing all the way to the bank. Taking care of all parts of your car is a good thing. It can only save you time and money down the road.
Some of the things you can do to give the outside of your car TLC include:
Wax your car
– You don’t need to do this all that often. Too much waxing can be a bad thing. You don’t want to wax your car every time you have it cleaned. But every now and then, it’s a good idea to get your car waxed. You also want to wax your car more often in warm weather. This is when it needs it the most.
Clean your car, inside and out
– Whether you do this yourself or have it professionally cleaned, it needs to be done. If you treat the inside of your car like a garbage bag, it’s going to show. You should also splurge and get your car detailed at least a few times a year.
Take care of dents and scratches
– If you notice a few dings and scratches on your car, take care of them. If you don’t, they’ll start to rust and get worse. It’s really important that you have these things repaired right away.
What are the Benefits of Giving Your Car TLC?
Like we said earlier – if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. There are a ton of benefits to giving your car TLC. Some of these include:
Your car is less likely to break down
– If you make sure your car is serviced and maintained, odds are, you won’t break down on the side of the road. Of course, things can go wrong. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Your car will run better – If your car gets the TLC it needs, it will run better. You won’t have to worry about your car being noisy or running slow.
You’ll be safer
– If you make sure your brakes are working properly, you’ll be safer. Too many accidents are caused by things like worn brakes or low brake fluid. Make sure you have your brakes repaired at the first sign of trouble.
Better fuel economy – If you make sure your engine is running at top speed, you’ll get better fuel economy. This will help save you tons of money at the pump.
You’ll save money
– Nobody wants to throw out hundreds or thousands of dollars on car repairs. You can make sure this doesn’t happen by getting routine service and maintenance done.
What’s Tlc Mean for Cars