Composing an email and clicking on the Send button could be one of your most annoying experiences, especially when you didn’t mean to send that email. However, with advancements in digital mailing, features like “Message Recall” are significantly gaining applause. Yes, Microsoft Outlook, like most other emailing platforms, offers you an excellent opportunity to un-send an email that you didn’t mean to send; however, you unintentionally send it. Here, we will discuss how to recall an email in Outlook and will help you gather some useful insights into using the feature across multiple devices.
How Do I Recall an Email in Outlook?
Instances might occur when you accidentally misspelled someone’s name or forgot to add an attachment to your email and have sent the email. The Outlook message or email recall gives you the opportunity to retrieve an email that you have already sent. However, this is possible only when the email recipient hasn’t already opened the email yet. In addition, both you and the email recipient need to be MS Outlook users on an Exchange server. In a nutshell, if you and the email recipient aren’t using Outlook email client, the feature is not functional.
If you are sure that both you and the email recipient are using MS Outlook and now you are wondering how to recall Outlook emails that you have already sent, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch MS Outlook on your computer and go to the “Sent Items”.
- Click on “File” and then select “Info” on the blue column.
- Click on “Resend or Recall” and then on “Recall This Message”.
- Select the “Tell me if recall succeeds or fails for each recipient” option.
- Click on the “Delete unread copies of this message” option.
- If you prefer editing the email and resend it when MS Outlook recalls the old version, click on the “Delete unread copies and replace with a new message” option.
Want to Recall an Email in Outlook 2016? Here’s how!
If you want to recall an email in outlook 2016, you can do that by following some simple steps. Outlook users often search for answers to queries like how do you recall an email in Outlook. The process of email recall in MS Outlook 2016 allows you to retrieve and replace an email that you’ve already sent. To recall Outlook 2016 email, first, go to the Sent Items folder on your Outlook account. The next step requires you to locate the email that you want to recall and open the email. Next, you need to go to the Message tab and select Actions followed by “Recall This Message”. Once you are done with these, follow the series of steps mentioned under to complete the process of recalling an email in Outlook:
- Select either of the “delete unread copies of this message” and “delete unread copies and replace with a new message”. Click on OK.
- If you want to replace an email, write the email and click on “Send”.
Instances might occur when the email recall feature of Outlook doesn’t work and you will receive a notification stating that the email recall has failed. In such cases, there’s nothing you can do apart from ensuring that you take proper precaution in the future.
Know How to Recall an Email in Outlook 365
Like most of the versions of Outlook, MS Outlook 365 also allows you to recall an email. In cases where you accidentally sent an email or if you forget to add or edit certain content in the email and you send the email, you can use the message recall feature in Outlook 365 to retrieve that email and resend it. Sending an email accidentally often leads Outlook users to search for answers to questions like how can I recall sent email in Outlook.
While the process of recalling an email in Outlook 365 is simple and straightforward, you must carefully follow the recommended instructions to avoid any error.
One the sent email is retrieved or un-sent, you can compose an email again or edit the sent email according to your need. Follow the below-mentioned steps to recall sent email in Outlook Office 365:
- Launch Outlook from your MS Office 365 package.
- Go to the Sent Items on your Outlook account to continue to recall Outlook 365 email.
- Locate the email that you sent accidentally and double-click on it.
- You will notice that the sent email is opened in another window.
- Click on ‘Actions’ and then select ‘Recall this Message’ to recall an email in Outlook 365.
Tips to Recall Outlook Emails on Various Devices
Whether you have a Mac, iPhone, iPad, or a laptop, you can use various versions of Outlook on it. Let’s have a quick look at the process of recalling an email on Outlook using these devices.
How to recall an email in Outlook on Mac?
While Mac doesn’t allow you to recall an email on Outlook, if you are using a web browser like Chrome on your Mac, you can go to the Outlook Web app to recall Outlook emails on Mac. All you need to do is first log into your Outlook account and locate the sent email in the “Sent Items”. The next step requires you to open the email and then click on ‘Actions’ followed by a click on “Recall this Message’. The same process answers questions like how to recall an email in Outlook on Chrome browser.
Six simple steps to recall an email in Outlook on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user and prefer using MS Outlook on it, you can recall Outlook email on iPhone while using the web browser. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open a web browser on your iPhone and visit outlook.com.
- Log into your Outlook account using the correct login credentials.
- Tap on the Sent Items folder and then open the email that you want to recall.
- Locate the Message tab in the open window with your email.
- Under the “Move’ option, tap on “recall this Message”.
- You can now replace the sent email with a new message or delete the unread email; tap on OK.
How to recall an email in Outlook on iPad?
To recall Outlook email on iPad, you can follow the similar steps that we have discussed for recalling an Outlook email on iPad. All you need to ensure is that you have a web browser installed on your iPad on which you can visit outlook.com. Once you complete the required steps, you will get the answer to questions like how can I recall an email in Outlook using an iPad.
Five steps to recall Outlook emails on laptop
Whether you have Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, or any recent version of Windows OS, you can recall Outlook email on laptop. While the process of recalling the sent email in Outlook on a laptop doesn’t require you to have any technical expertise, you must carefully follow the recommended guidelines. Here’s a look at them:
- Open MS Outlook on your laptop and log into your account.
- To recall email in Outlook on laptop, click on the Sent Items folder on the left-hand side.
- Double-click on the email that you want to recall and replace.
- Click on Actions on the Message tab and then click on “Recall this Message”.
- Click on “Delete unread copies and replace with a new message”.
Email recall in Outlook gives you a chance to retrieve the email that you have sent accidentally. However, to ensure the functioning of this feature, you must ensure that both you and the email recipient are using MS Outlook. Secondly, the email recipient shouldn’t have already opened the email you sent. Failing to these terms will restrict you from recalling a sent email on Outlook. The email recall process requires you first to go to the sent items in Outlook and open the sent email. Next, you can click on “Actions” and select the “Recall this Message” option.
How to Move Outlook Emails
How to Uninstall Outlook
How to Change Outlook Password
How to Unsend an Email in Outlook Mac