How Long Does It Take for Dmv to Mail License

By | May 27, 2022


Please register
to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members – it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you
create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.



Old
07-14-2014, 06:43 AM


20 posts, read
152,421
times

Reputation: 21




Excuse my ignorance on the subject, as I just moved to CA in April, but I have a fairly remedial question…

I purchased a used car in May, and since I was moving from out of state, I couldn’t simply transfer my plates. The dealer explained to me that they would file the paperwork with the DMV and that everything would come through the mail. Sweet.

Only two weeks ago (nearly two months from purchase) did I receive an actual registration with a license plate sticker in the mail, but to this day, I still haven’t gotten plates!

Was the dealer wrong? Do I need to actually go to the DMV to get them? Which one? Or is this typical, and I just need to sit tight?


Rate this post positively


Old
07-14-2014, 08:03 AM


Location: Southern California

4,453 posts, read
6,263,866
times

Reputation: 2228



Isn’t your plate number listed on the registration? If there is a dealer plate/advertisement on the car , check behind it.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Mr_Geek


Location: Southern California

12,713 posts, read
13,664,118
times

Reputation: 35387



Plates take 3-4 weeks max to get to you. There’s a reason the temp tags usually are valid for 30 days. They will come in the mail. I’d call the DMV.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-14-2014, 09:37 AM

Lovehound


Location: SoCal

14,530 posts, read
18,226,074
times

Reputation: 10503



Quote:

Originally Posted by
Mr_Geek

I’d call the DMV.

I’d call the DMV too but I would get in trouble with the moderators if I posted all the words I would call them.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Sydney123


Location: Avignon, France

10,547 posts, read
6,466,933
times

Reputation: 27081



Quote:

Originally Posted by
Lovehound

I’d call the DMV too but I would get in trouble with the moderators if I posted all the words I would call them.

LOL I went to the DMV with a friend and he got so frustrated with them that he threw down his paperwork and walked out. When we got back to the car I said.. Dude.. you know you’re gonna have to go back in there right?


Rate this post positively


Old
07-18-2014, 06:17 PM

CDJudge


172 posts, read
254,961
times

Reputation: 138



It took me forever, like 6 months. I don’t remember exactly but it was a long time.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-19-2014, 12:15 AM

cb73


Location: Carmichael, CA

2,179 posts, read
3,875,091
times

Reputation: 3803



Quote:

Originally Posted by
UtahGrad

Excuse my ignorance on the subject, as I just moved to CA in April, but I have a fairly remedial question…

I purchased a used car in May, and since I was moving from out of state, I couldn’t simply transfer my plates. The dealer explained to me that they would file the paperwork with the DMV and that everything would come through the mail. Sweet.

Only two weeks ago (nearly two months from purchase) did I receive an actual registration with a license plate sticker in the mail, but to this day, I still haven’t gotten plates!

Was the dealer wrong? Do I need to actually go to the DMV to get them? Which one? Or is this typical, and I just need to sit tight?

The dealer didn’t request license plates for you. The stickers you received would have been taped to the plates. They wouldn’t come separately from the stickers.

Do you have license plates on the car now? (I’m asking because sometimes people already have plates but think they’re getting new ones.)

If the car was purchased used in California, it should already have license plates on it–they stay with the car, not the owner.

If you don’t have any license plates, go online to DMV– www.dmv.ca.gov , make an appointment, take the registration card and sticker, and when you get there, fill out a Reg. 256–Application for Duplicate Plates. The fee is around $19.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-20-2014, 06:28 PM

ferretkona


Location: Columbia, California

6,664 posts, read
29,032,240
times

Reputation: 5140



Quote:

Originally Posted by
cb73

it should already have license plates on it–they stay with the car, not the owner.

Not always! custom plates and handicap plates stay with the owner.

The CHP has told me in the past to keep the plates in my possession on selling a vehicle to force a buyer to transfer to their name. I had a buyer once (friend) who kept returning to the DMV to renew with cash, stated he did not receive reminder. He left the car in my name for years.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-20-2014, 11:03 PM

cb73


Location: Carmichael, CA

2,179 posts, read
3,875,091
times

Reputation: 3803



Quote:

Originally Posted by
ferretkona

Not always! custom plates and handicap plates stay with the owner.

The CHP has told me in the past to keep the plates in my possession on selling a vehicle to force a buyer to transfer to their name. I had a buyer once (friend) who kept returning to the DMV to renew with cash, stated he did not receive reminder. He left the car in my name for years.

Very true, but I questioned whether there were now plates on the vehicle. And the fact that the stickers were mailed out attached to the registration card does reflect that either plates were not requested by the dealer, or an error was made and they were not mailed out. In either case, plates will not be later mailed, so OP needs to contact DMV directly.


Rate this post positively


Old
07-21-2014, 10:45 AM

ferretkona


Location: Columbia, California

6,664 posts, read
29,032,240
times

Reputation: 5140



I bought a Jeep a few months ago. I called the dealer up and asked if they knew where the plates were. The plates were under the paper ad under the license plate frames.


Rate this post positively

Please
register
to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site:
City-data.com.


All times are GMT -6.

How Long Does It Take for Dmv to Mail License

Source: https://www.city-data.com/forum/california/2159668-how-long-does-take-get-license.html

Popular:   How to Find Someone on Snapchat by Email